Creating personal space is an important aspect of living a balanced life. It’s important to take time out of your busy, hectic, stressful life to slow down and prioritize your emotional needs. By carving out space for yourself, you are demonstrating that you believe that you are worth prioritizing. It looks different to everyone, but the universal aspect is that it is an emotional reconnection with yourself. It’s very easy to forget to prioritize your needs when balancing all of your responsibilities. Without stopping to reconnect with yourself, you turn into the battery bunny on autopilot. That’s no way to live! Take a few minutes and follow these steps to incorporate personal space into your life today.
- Admit that you deserve personal space and make the personal commitment to incorporate it into your life on a regular basis.
- Identify the aspects of your ideal personal space and be specific. It is important to create a visual image of what it looks like. Are you alone or with others? Who specifically do you enjoy recharging with? Where do you go to recharge? How much time do you want and need for recharging? What supplies do you need to make it a reality? What helps you recharge emotionally? What activities do you enjoy as you recharge your batteries? Here’s some examples to get you thinking: Taking a walk in the woods, reading your favorite book from childhood, playing badminton with a friend, relaxing on the beach, baking a favorite recipe while listening to your favorite CD, taking a bubble bath. Have fun being creative with your activities!
- Schedule it in your planner. Intentions are wonderful, but without action, they are only words. Sit down with your planner at the beginning of each week and schedule in personal space for yourself. Unless it is scheduled, it won’t happen.
- Identify resources that will assist you in making your personal time a priority. Who can you ask for support and accountability to stick with your plan? What friend could pick up your kids from soccer practice one day to free up your schedule for your relaxation time?
- Reflect on your personal space. How do you feel? What clarity have you gained by spending time reconnecting with yourself? Did you have enough time? If not, how can you make more time in your schedule for more personal space?
Creating personal space is the most important thing you can do for yourself because without it, the rest of your life suffers. You deserve to recharge your batteries. It’s not a luxury, it’s a necessity.
Want to create the life you desire and deserve, but can’t figure out how to get started?